graphic-2

Reddish Vale Country Park

Brinnington Tunnel 

All images, copyright, Stockport Nature.Com

Reddish Vale Country Park

Brinnington Tunnel

At the Stockport end of what is known as the Dead Line (part of the Trans Pennine Trail) is Brinnington Tunnel.

 

The tunnel opened on the 12th January 1863 as part of the 2 mile Stockport (Portwood) to Woodley railway line. The line connected Portwood Station (Marsland Street) with the Woodley to Manchester line opened the previous year. On 1st January 1865 the Portwood to Deansgate Junction railway opened. The new line saw the opening of Tiviot Dale Station which housed a banking engine to assist freight trains climbing from Portwood through Brinnington Tunnel to Woodley. Portwood Station closed in 1875 and Tiviot Station closed in 1967.

 

Brinnington tunnel was driven 156 metres through a ridge separating the converging valleys of the Tame and Goyt, known in the 17th century as 'Broken Brow'.

In 1990 the tunnel was renovated by Stockport Council and the Countryside Commission costing £75,000.

webbrinny-tunnel-1 webbrinny-tunnel-2 webbrinny-tunnel-3