graphic-2

Reddish Vale Country Park

Harrison's Weir 

All images, copyright, Stockport Nature.Com

Reddish Vale Country Park

Harrison's Weir

 

James Harrison bought the manor of Brinnington in the early 1780's, he was described as a Manchester cotton merchant and a speculator and developer.

At about the same time he acquired the manor of Reddish on the opposite side of the River Tame. These two purchases gave him not only land but also control of the water-rights along the section of the Tame immediately north of Stockport.

 

 

web-weir-fllood-3 web-weir-fllood-5 webapril20103 webaug20102 webaug20104 webdec201098 webdec201099 webdec2010101

By 1790 Harrison had three factories in Portwood and others were to follow. In 1796, to provide sufficient water-power to this industrial zone he constructed a substancial millrace. Known as the Portwood Cut, it carried water across the Tame between his Reddish and Brinnington estates. Harrison also planned the construction of factories at Wood Hall but that particular scheme was abandoned after his death in 1806.

Harrison's Weir still survives on the river. To the south sections of the Portwood Cut also survive within Reddish Vale Country Park, both as a shallow depression and as water-filled, if somewhat silted and overgrown channel.

webdec201097

Click On Images To Enlarge