Reddish Vale Country Park
Reddish Hall was situated to the east of the township overlooking the River Tame roughly where Reddish Vale Technology College is now.
It was built of timber and wattle and daub on a masonry foundation and surrounded by a moat. The front had three overhanging gables and was entirely covered with quaterfoil panelling. There was a domestic chapel attached to the main hall and above the gateway was an apartment known as the 'Priest's Chamber'.
The interior of the manor house was richly decorated with fine woodcarving and in the dining hall was carved the arms of the Reddyshe family. The hall was demolished in 1780 and it's fabric incorporated in a farm house known as Reddish Hall Farm. Reddish Vale School now stands on this site.
The woodcarving in Reddish Hall was, in places , incomplete. The legend was told that the artist, condemned to death for some crime, had execution of his sentence suspended until the completion of his work. The artist took his time and, by the time he died of natural causes, the carvings were still incomplete and remained so until demolition.
The lords of the manor were the Redish family, a branch of the Hulton family of Ordsall.
Robert de Redish was recorded as early as 1181 and a de Redish fought at the battle of Agincourt. The de Redish family held the manor of Reddish until the last male heirs died in 1613. The manor then passed through marriage to the family of Sir Edward Coke, a famous 17th century Chief Justice of England. The Cokes held Reddish Hall and its estates until the early 19th century when they were aquired by the Greggs.
In the 1842 map below, the red arrow shows Reddish Hall (probably Reddish Hall Farm), the green arrow points to moat on the map and the blue arrow points to the print works.