Reddish Vale Country Park
Reddish Vale Corn Mill stood near the end of Denton Brook, saddling the boundary of Reddish and Denton, and at the far end of the present Top Pond.
The corn mill had been in the Vale since about 1300 when the de Reddishes became Lords of the Manor. People throughout the area would have brought corn here for milling and be expected to pay in kind to the miller and Lord of the Manor.
In 1657 the corn mill was at the centre of a dispute between William stopford (who owned the land on the Reddish side and the corn mill) and Robert Hyde (who owned the land on the Denton side). The mill pond had been increased and flooded moorland in Denton.
There had been no agreement over the increase, and the rent on the old agreement had not been paid. The dispute became very heated, one night when William Stopford went to Robert hydes house and offered the money due to him, but William was pushed aside and the door shut in his face.
William suspected that Robert might try something and went to the mill. In a fit of anger Robert came down the lane to lock the sluice gates and take the mill by force, but was prevented from doing so by the miller and William. The case went to court, where Robert Hyde was told to settle the rent, pay the case costs, and give William Stopford a copy of the old agreement, which had been lost when his home had been plundered by a group of rampaging ex-army men.
In 1810 the mill stood empty and was converted into the first Reddish school for local children. It was know as the 'Ark' because you could see the water flowing under the mill through the floorboards. The school was in use until the first proper Reddish School was built, the mill then slowly fell down until the ponds were extended in the first decade of this century.
There don't seem to be any photographs of the corn mill at Reddish Vale, in the photograph below you can see the nine house, just to the left of the houses there is another building just visible through the trees, could this be the corn mill?
Above, 1842 map showing the 'Old Mill'.