graphic-2

Reddish Vale Country Park

Viaduct

reddish vale country park, viaduct reddish vale country park, viaduct, flying scotsman reddish vale country park, viaduct reddish vale country park, viaduct

The viaduct at Reddish Vale was built by the Sheffield and Midland Railways Committee in order to complete their Romiley to Ashbury line.

 

The 17-arched viaduct drastically changed the outlook of the valley. It is said that a local witch,who was unhappy with the viaduct being built, put a curse on anyone who dared count the arches.

From The Times, July 12 1905:

"The train conveying the King [Edward VII] and Queen to Sheffield will leave St Pancras station at 10 o'clock this morning and, travelling via Trent and the Erewash Valley, is due to arrive at Sheffield at 1 p.m. The 9.45 a.m. express, which runs to Sheffield without a stop, will act as pilot train. The Royal Party will leave Sheffield at 5 p.m., travelling by the Midland Railway via Dore and Chinley and Miles Platting and  Victoria Stations (Manchester.) The London and North Western will then take charge of the train and work it to Huyton (for  Knowsley) where it is due at 6.50 p.m. Last night's 'Gazette' contains a proclamation appointing tomorrow as a special day to be observed as a Bank Holiday in Manchester, Salford and Stretford."

In 1905 the LNWR royal train (only two years old) crosssed the viaduct towards Manchester, double headed by two Midland Railway 4-4-0s, perhaps with King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra on board.

Each year two provincial cities were favoured with a 'state visit' and that in 1905 Sheffield and Manchester were picked. The royal couple were to be guests at Knowsley Hall for for their visit to Manchester.

 

 

 

Below.

On Sunday 15th June 1980, L.N.E.R 4472, 'The Flying Scotsman' passed over the viaduct on it's way from Manchester Victoria to York.